There were 1,930 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program in March 2017 (a 45% increase over the previous month). The total value of all sales was $560 million, representing a total of 152,000 acres in 43 states throughout the country. The most expensive sold property was the 733-acre Flat Rock Creek Ranch in Bosque County, Texas, which was sold on March 24, 2017 for $7.3 million. The largest sold acreage was Wyoming’s 15,226-acre Reverse CX Ranch, a live-water cattle ranch in the northeastern part of the state that sold after seven months on the market.
A total of 8,970 new listings were added by sellers on Lands of America throughout the month, representing a total of $4.5 billion in new rural real estate for sale. Below are some of the notable new additions.
Most Expensive New Listing
A pair of $33-million properties were tied as the most expensive listings to hit the market in March, each with distinctly different characteristics. The 1,472-acre North Wales estate near Warrenton, Virginia, is a sprawling country manor that was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. The circa-1776 mansion has an impressive 22 bedrooms and 13 baths! The estate was most recently purchased by a wealthy investment banker in 2014.
Crazy French Ranch is back on the market following a number of price reductions over the years. A mix of meadows, ravines and steep mountainsides, the ranch is one of only a few western properties that’s home to seven of the big-game trophy animals: elk, mule deer, bison, black bear, pronghorn, cougar and turkey. Hunting was introduced on the ranch to manage the populations of both predators and game herds. Located in southern Colorado, it is rumored that Billy the Kid had a hideout here during his time on the run.
Largest New Listing
Located to the west of Phoenix atop the high-desert Harquahala Plains, South Clem Ranch is a 300-head carrying-capacity cattle ranch. The terrain consists of a mixture of foothill breaks and nice flat ground in the valley. Centennial Wash runs through the middle of the ranch providing a variety of browse, annuals and grass species. Elevations on the ranch range from 1,348 feet in Centennial Wash to approximately 3,100 feet in the Eagle Tail Mountains, which form the property’s southern boundary.
Counties With Most New Land for Sale
- Habersham County, Georgia (150 new listings) — Located in the forested region of northeast Georgia, Tallulah Gorge State Park is one of Habersham County’s top attractions.
- Henderson County, Texas (69 new listings) — Henderson County is located in the Piney Woods region of East Texas and is known for charming, historical towns like its namesake. The county seat is Athens.
- Lee County, Florida (66 new listings) — Southwest Florida’s Lee County is centered around the world-class beaches and attractions of the Fort Myers-Sanibel area.
- Baxter County, Arkansas (62 new listings) — Baxter County is in north-central Arkansas along the Missouri line and is the gateway to the outdoor attractions of 22,000-acre Norfolk Lake, Ozark National Forest and the free-flowing Buffalo National River.
- Park County, Colorado (58 new listings) — Situated west of Colorado Springs, Park County is home to many recreational and cattle ranches among the foothills of Colorado’s 14ers.
Most Searched Counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in March 2017:
- Burnet County, Texas (+4)
- Bandera County, Texas (-1)
- Gillespie County, Texas (+1)
- Kerr County, Texas (NEW)
- Edwards County, Texas (-2)
- Williamson County, Texas
- Parker County, Texas
- Kendall County, Texas (+2)
- McLennan County, Texas (-1)
- Henderson County, Texas (NEW)
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in March 2017:
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Marion County, Florida
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Yavapai County, Arizona
- Maricopa County, Arizona
- Pushmataha County, Oklahoma
- Huerfano County, Colorado
- Rio Arriba County, New Mexico
- San Bernardino County, California
- Hampshire County, West Virginia
Top-performing Land Brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.