The Flat Top Division of the legendary Swenson Ranch was established in 1853/1854. This sprawling 41,000± acre ranch property is located on the Texas Rolling Plains, which is an area widely recognized for ranching, farming, mineral production and in more recent years, outstanding hunting. The eastern portion of the ranch is adjacent to the western city limits of Stamford, Texas. Access to all major portions of the ranch are by paved highways and county roads, and the ranch has an extensive network of well-maintained private ranch roads.
The ranch has nearly level to gently rolling terrain, 166± miles of fencing and is well watered by over 40 water wells. Seven± miles of the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River flows through the northwestern portion of the ranch, and there are a number of smaller seasonal creeks throughout the property.
Over the years, an ongoing mesquite and prickly pear eradication program has been in effect. With the exception of the major drainages and rugged side slope portions of the ranch, most of the remainder of the property is considered to have very productive soils. Approximately 6,300 acres are in cultivation, scattered over about a dozen fields throughout the ranch.
In addition to a small grow yard located just west of Stamford, other structural improvements include the main headquarters, the Taylor Camp, the Farm Center and approximately 17 sets of livestock shipping/working/branding pens. The headquarter improvements consist of the ranch manager’s home, several employee houses, barns, horse stalls and a large set of livestock shipping pens which are equipped with scales.
Historically, the Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch has been operated as a cow-calf operation. All of the ranch equipment and the cow herd are available to be purchased with the ranch at market price.
The Flat Top Division offers great hunting opportunities, including whitetail deer, quail, dove, feral hogs and seasonal water fowl. Fishing is
available in the river and several of the larger ponds.
There is scattered oil production on the ranch, and approximately 25 percent of the minerals are owned.
This long-term ownership ranch has not been offered for sale throughout the 165-year history of the property. This first time offering of the Swenson Flat Top Ranch is an historic opportunity to own a quality working cattle ranch which includes an extensive farming operation that can be expanded, if desired. In addition to farming and ranching, the property offers excellent hunting opportunities, potential future wind farm development, periodic surface damage income and the potential to share in some portion of the mineral income.
The Flat Top Division of the Swenson Ranch is very reasonably priced at $1,200 per acre.
41,000± Acres | Jones, Haskell & Stonewall Counties, Texas
Offered at $49,200,000 | Property ID: 6569141
ChasSMiddleton.com | Charlie@CSMandSon.com | (806) 763-5331
The historic Swenson Ranches trace their origin to Svante Magnus Swenson, the first Swedish immigrant to arrive in Texas, landing near what is now Galveston in 1838. The famous SMS brand, with two backward S’s, was one of the first registered in Texas and was derived from Swenson’s initials. Swenson, a close ally of Sam Houston, played an active role in the state’s early history. He served as Travis County Commissioner in the 1850s and as the first Treasurer of the State Agriculture Society. Swenson opened one of the first stores in Austin, introduced the Colt revolver to the frontier and established the Swedish Pipeline which brought thousands of Swedish families to settle in Texas after the Civil War. A cabin from Swenson’s farm east of Austin, called Govalle, is enshrined today at Zilker Botanical Gardens in Austin as part of the Swedish Pioneer Village.