There were 1,780 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program in April 2017 (an 8 percent decrease over the previous month). The total value of all sales was $564 million, representing a total of 225,000 acres in 41 states throughout the country. Texas, Florida and Missouri saw the highest sales volume in terms of total price; Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming topped the list by overall acreage.
A 65-acre commercial parcel close to the Disney theme parks and SeaWorld in Orlando was the most expensive land sold in April. This property was sold on April 13 for $28 million. New Mexico’s 21,747-acre Thompson Ranch was the largest sold property, selling for $3.3 million on April 14.
A total of 8,978 new listings were added by sellers on Lands of America throughout the month, representing a total of $4.5 billion in new rural real estate for sale. Below are some of the notable new additions.
Most Expensive New Listing
Cabin Bluff Hunting Club is one of the country’s oldest hunting establishments and has hosted a number of former U.S. presidents. Established as an exclusive hunting retreat in 1928, the property’s original history dates back to a century earlier when the owners of the Sea Island Cotton company founded the Camden Hunt Club on what is now known as Cabin Bluff. The 10,300-acre Cabin Bluff plantation sits on the shores of Georgia’s Cumberland River across the inlet from Cumberland Island National Seashore.
READ MORE: America’s Oldest Hunting Club Up for Sale
Largest New Listing
The Continental Divide Ranch features 96,447 acres in one contiguous block of land situated in the Haystack Mountain Range and along the North Platte River. The ranch offers over five miles of North Platte River frontage (which is a source for irrigation and blue-ribbon fishing), an established cow/calf operation, plus opportunities to hunt deer, elk and antelope.
Counties With Most New Land for Sale
New land was listed for sale on a total of 1,769 counties throughout the country. Below are the five counties with the most new land listed for sale in April 2017:
- Grayson County, Virginia (98 new listings) — Located in the southern part of Virginia on the border with Tennessee, Grayson County is home to the highest point in the state (5,729-foot Mount Rogers).
- Aroostook County, Maine (93 new listings) — Aroostock is the last county you’ll hit in the northeastern U.S. hit before entering Canada. Farms, timberland and hunting land are the most common types of land for sale here.
- Highlands County, Florida (72 new listings) — Located in central Florida and bordered by the Kissimmee River, Highlands County is home to the renowned Sebring International Raceway.
- Kern County, California (72 new listings) — Kern County occupies California’s south-central agricultural belt and is centered around Bakersfield, the state’s ninth-largest city.
- Hendry County, Florida (71 new listings) — Hendry County is on the outskirts of Fort Myers, where the land is in use for mostly agricultural and commercial purposes.
Most Searched Counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in April 2017:
- Burnet County, Texas
- Gillespie County, Texas (+1)
- Kerr County, Texas (+1)
- Bandera County, Texas (-2)
- Edwards County, Texas
- Williamson County, Texas
- Parker County, Texas
- Comal County, Texas (NEW)
- Kendall County, Texas (-1)
- Llano County, Texas (NEW)
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in April 2017:
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Pushmataha County, Oklahoma
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Yavapai County, Arizona
- Maricopa County, Arizona
- Le Flore County, Oklahoma
- Marion County, Florida
- Apache County, Arizona
- Huerfano County, Colorado
- Rio Arriba County, New Mexico
Top-performing Land Brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.