There were over 2,100 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program in August 2017, a 28 percent increase over the previous month. The total value of all sales was $831 million, comprising approximately 322,000 acres of land in 45 states throughout the country.
As in July 2017, Texas, Missouri and Virginia saw the most sales during the month, while Henderson County (Texas), Cochise County (Arizona) and Comanche County (Texas) were the counties recording the most individual sales.
The month’s largest recorded land sale, both in terms of price and acreage, was the record-setting sale of Colorado’s 83,368-acre Cielo Vista Ranch for $105 million. To date, the August 11 sale is the largest recorded land sale of the year.
Over 27,000 new listings were added by sellers on the Land.com Network throughout the month, representing over $10 billion in new rural real estate for sale in some 2,500 counties throughout the country. Below are several notable new additions.
Most Expensive New Ranch Listing
Priced at $40 million, 4,600-acre Rancho Latigo is a California legacy ranch set amidst the stunning natural beauty of the Santa Ynez Mountains, accessible to Santa Barbara and Los Angeles to the south by road—or the property’s helipad should the need arise. Equestrian stables, tennis courts, miles of hiking and horseback-riding trails and the expected luxe accommodations make this a stunning opportunity for a private recreational retreat or venue for corporate events, weddings and other group gatherings. The property was first listed for sale via Ranch Marketing Associates on August 15, 2017.
Largest New Land Listing
Adams Ranch, covering 22,376 acres across Val Verde and Terrell counties in southwestern Texas, is a third-generation ranch that has been run as a cow/calf operation over the years. The property is fenced into 11 pastures with two traps. Its diversity of terrain and vegetation, along with good water supply for this part of Texas, provide excellent forage and cover for both livestock and game. A transitional area between the Edwards Plateau and Trans Pecos, it’s widely recognized as offering some of the best and most challenging hunting in the state. Whitetail deer flourish here and the area is known to produce big trophy bucks. Bobwhite and blue quail are common, too, as are javelina and the occasional feral hog and wild turkey.
Counties With Most New Land for Sale
New land was listed for sale in a total of 2,583 counties throughout the country, representing over 80 percent of counties in the United States. Below are the five counties with the most new land listed for sale in August 2017:
- San Bernardino County, California (211 new listings) — Spreading northeast from L.A., San Bernardino County comprises everything from residential and equestrian estates to the orchards and agricultural acreage that drive the massive California farm economy.
- Lee County, Florida (211 new listings) — Centered around the Fort Myers area, land for sale in Lee County is largely commercial and undeveloped acreage.
- Riverside County, California (165 new listings) — Riverside County is the fourth most-populated county in California and comprises an ever-growing suburb of the ever-sprawling City of Angels.
- Los Angeles County, California (128 new listings) — As you’d expect of the country’s second-most populous metropolitan area, land for sale in Los Angeles County largely comprises acreage for commercial and residential development.
- Hampshire County, West Virginia (127 new listings) — West Virginia’s 645-square-mile Hampshire County covers 3 percent of the state’s total land area. It’s within driving range of the sprawling Metropolitan Washington, D.C., area.
Most Searched Counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in August 2017:
- Burnet County, Texas
- Kerr County, Texas
- Edwards County, Texas (+3)
- Gillespie County, Texas
- Parker County, Texas (+2)
- Blanco County, Texas (NEW)
- Bandera County, Texas (-4)
- Comal County, Texas
- Henderson County, Texas
- Llano County, Texas (-5)
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in August 2017:
- Yavapai County, Arizona
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska
- Flathead County, Montana
- Park County, Wyoming
- Marion County, Florida
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Huerfano County, Colorado
- Navajo County, Arizona
- Rio Arriba County, New Mexico
Top-performing Land Brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
- August 3 – California Agricultural Properties Sells Acreage in California’s Fertile Sacramento Valley
- August 10 – Well-Watered Coyanosa Draw Ranch Sold in West Texas by King Land & Water
- August 17 – Broker of the Week: Mirr Ranch Group
- August 24 – Walker & Martin Ranch Sales Sell 2,227-Acre Ranch in the Prairies of Eastern New Mexico
- August 31 – Texas Home-Land Realty Sells 10,000-Acre West Texas Hunting Ranch
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.