There were almost 1,700 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program in July 2017, a decrease over the previous month. The total value of all sales was $484 million, comprising approximately 169,000 acres of land in 46 states throughout the country. Texas, Missouri and Virginia saw the most sales during the month, while Erath County (Texas) and Grainger County (Tennessee) were the counties recording the most individual sales.
The most expensive property listed as sold was Juanita Creek Ranch, a 5,050-acre ranch in Texas’ “Big Deer Country” that was sold on July 3 for $12 million. Robert Dullnig of Dullnig Ranches/Kuper Sotheby’s International was the broker behind this Hill Country land sale.
New Mexico’s Ladron Mountain Ranch, a 29,162-acre property in New Mexico’s Socorro County, was the largest sold listing during the month.
To date, the June 19, 2017, sale of historic 32,000-acre Ford Ranch by Sam Middleton is the year’s biggest land sale. It is also the most expensive land sale recorded this year, selling for an impressive $52.5 million.
Almost 34,000 new listings were added by sellers on the Land.com Network throughout the month, representing over $11 billion in new rural real estate for sale. Below are some of the notable new additions.
Most Expensive & Largest New Listing
Both the month’s most expensive new listing ($65 million) and its largest (119,540 acres, 93,280 of which are deeded), Diamond Cross Ranch lies in one of Montana’s most private and beautiful locations. This ranch is a culmination of many ranches that were assembled during the last 15 years by an owner with vision and passion for the region’s land, culture and industry. This offering is a large block of land in the heart of Montana ranching country, which values traditions of hard work, stewardship and neighborliness. The ranch traverses both Big Horn and Rosebud counties, whose county seats are in the towns of Hardin and Forsyth, respectively.
Counties With Most New Land for Sale
New land was listed for sale in a total of 2,361 counties throughout the country, representing 75 percent of all U.S. counties. Below are the five counties with the most new land listed for sale in July 2017:
- Saint Mary’s County, Maryland (572 new listings) — Jutting into the Chesapeake Bay on Maryland’s Western Shore, Saint Mary’s County offers a mix of residential, recreational and agricultural land.
- Charles County, Maryland (531 new listings) — Facing Virginia on the banks of the Potomac River, 450-square-mile Charles County is anchored to the south of the busy metropolitan Washington, D.C., area.
- Baxter County, Arkansas (488 new listings) — Baxter County is in north-central Arkansas along the Missouri line and is the gateway to the outdoor attractions of 22,000-acre Norfolk Lake, Ozark National Forest and the free-flowing Buffalo National River.
- Sequatchie County, Tennessee (439 new listings) — North of the growing metro enclave of Chattanooga, Tennessee, the Sequatchie Valley was once the home to since-shuttered coal mines and foundries. It’s also home to the popular Coke Ovens Bluegrass Festival, which celebrates the area’s music and heritage.
- Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska (376 new listings) — Spreading out southwest from the city of Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula takes in the dramatic sweep of Kachemak Bay and the gateway to majestic Katmai National Park & Preserve.
Most Searched Counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in July 2017:
- Burnet County, Texas
- Kerr County, Texas
- Bandera County, Texas (+1)
- Gillespie County, Texas (-1)
- Llano County, Texas
- Edwards County, Texas
- Parker County, Texas
- Comal County, Texas (+2)
- Henderson County, Texas (+1)
- Williamson County, Texas (-1)
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in July 2017:
- Marion County, Florida
- Yavapai County, Arizona
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Hawaii County, Hawaii
- Flathead County, Montana
- Park County, Wyoming
- Rio Arriba County, New Mexico
- Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska
- Navajo County, Arizona
Top-performing Land Brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
July 6 – Dullnig Ranches Sells 20,944-acre Comstock Ranch in Val Verde County, Texas | Robert Dullnig/Dullnig Ranches
July 20 – Double T Ranch Sold in Texas Hill Country, Offers Exceptional Game Hunting | Doug Evans/Evans Ranch Properties
July 27 – New Mexico Desert Ranch Sold on Slopes of 9,186-foot “Sky Island” | Nick Cortese/Fallon-Cortese Land
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.