There were over 2,150 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program in June 2017 (a 3 percent decrease from the previous month). The total value of all sales was $666 million, comprising approximately 180,000 acres of land in 46 states throughout the country. Texas, Missouri and Tennessee saw the most sales during the month.
The historic Ford Ranch, which was sold for the first time in over a century, was the most expensive sale—$52.5 million—in June. At almost 32,000 acres, this sale by Sam Middleton with Chas S. Middleton & Son was also the month’s largest sold acreage.
Over 10,000 new listings were added by sellers on Lands of America throughout the month, representing over $5 billion in new rural real estate for sale. Below are some of the notable new additions.
Most Expensive New Listing
Located in northwestern Colorado, the 56,050+/- deeded acre Cross Mountain Ranch represents one of the largest and most diverse recreational and operating ranches on the market today. A wildlife preserve stretching over four counties and 168,000+/- acres of leased National Forest, BLM, State and Park Service lands, the ranch is home to North America’s largest elk herd. It is an ecologically diverse landscape with several miles of river frontage on the Yampa, Little Snake and Williams Fork rivers and numerous other streams, lakes and ponds. With valuable and historic water rights, plus within 45 minutes from the resort town of Steamboat Springs and 20 minutes from a commercial airport, Cross Mountain Ranch represents a significant legacy ranch and investment opportunity.
Largest New Listing
Situated northeast of Roswell, New Mexico, 77,111-acre White Lake Ranch comprises 69,314+/-deeded acres across a landscape of gently rolling hills and low lying flat bottom lands. Elevations are approximately 3,900 feet in the flats, elevating to over 4,000 feet on the upland country. An elevated ridgeline, known as Railroad Mountain runs through the northern portion of the ranch in a west to east direction. This unusual geological feature has the appearance of an elevated railroad bed with substantial rock outcroppings throughout the side slopes of this elevated formation. Under the current operation the ranch is running a cow/calf operation. There are numerous quail on the property, with antelope being common in the open plains country and mule deer in the sandier hilly country. Some additional supplemental income can be derived from hunting.
Counties With Most New Land for Sale
New land was listed for sale in a total of 1,830 counties throughout the country. Below are the five counties with the most new land listed for sale in June 2017:
- Stone County, Missouri (172 new listings) — Comprising the lakes, forests and hills of the Ozarks region, Stone County sits south of Springfield and just west of the popular vacation gateway of Branson, Missouri.
- Randolph County, Alabama (105 new listings) — Randolph County sits at the lower southern edge of the Appalachian Plateau and is home to the state’s scenic Lake Wedowee.
- Escambia County, Alabama (85 new listings) — Located in southern Alabama along the Florida Panhandle, Escambia County includes a portion of Conecuh National Forest, a distinctive southern woodland of longleaf pine, magnolia and cypress trees.
- San Bernardino County, California (82 new listings) — Spreading northeast from L.A., San Bernardino County comprises everything from residential and equestrian estates to the orchards and agricultural acreage that drive the massive California farm economy.
- Taney County, Missouri (76 new listings) — Adjacent to Stone County, Taney County is centered around the towns of Branson and Forsyth, plus includes a section of Mark Twain National Forest and the geologically unique Hercules-Glades Wilderness.
Most Searched Counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in June 2017:
- Burnet County, Texas
- Kerr County, Texas (+2)
- Gillespie County, Texas
- Bandera County, Texas (+1)
- Llano County, Texas (+3)
- Edwards County, Texas
- Parker County, Texas
- Comal County, Texas (+2)
- Williamson County, Texas
- Henderson County, Texas
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in June 2017:
- Yavapai County, Arizona
- Marion County, Florida
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Maricopa County, Arizona
- Hawaii County, Hawaii
- Rio Arriba County, New Mexico
- San Bernardino County, California
- Park County, Wyoming
- Flathead County, Montana
- Klamath County, Oregon
Top-performing Land Brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.