There were over 2,150 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program in March 2018, totaling $805 million and almost 300,000 acres of sold land and rural real estate across 48 states. This represents a 17 percent increase in sales activity over February 2018.
The sale of 11,800-acre Broseco Ranch by Icon Global Group was the month’s biggest recorded land deal. Sold on March 28 to a unit of Amarillo-based Smith Ranches, Broseco Ranch is an award-winning cattle ranch known for its 2,000-plus-head herd of Red Angus cattle. Listed for sale at $34 million, the ranch sold in less than a year. It is currently the most expensive sale recorded in 2018 through the Lands of America Comparable Sales program, as well as among the five biggest land sales of the year so far.
The total value of sold acreage in March reflects a 30 percent increase over the previous month, with an average parcel size of 170 acres for land and rural real estate listed as sold nationwide. Texas, Colorado and Tennessee saw the most land sales during the month. Wichita County in Texas registered the most individual sales, followed by Custer County, Colorado, and Burnet County, Texas.
New land listed for sale across the Land.com Network in March represents acreage in 9 out 10 of all U.S. counties. Below are some notable new listings on the market as of March.
Largest new land listing
Relisted for sale by Mirr Ranch Group on March 15, the Continental Divide Ranch is an outstanding large working ranch located in south-central Wyoming near the town of Rawlins. It’s situated along the North Platte River and Haystack Mountain Range. The ranch totals approximately 98,424 acres and offers diversity, from irrigated hay meadows along the North Platte River to pockets of pine and aspen draws in the Haystack Mountains. There is approximately five miles of river frontage along the famed North Platte River, providing excellent fishing and riparian habitat for wildlife, along with a significant irrigation source for productive hay ground.
Read more: 10 Biggest Ranches for Sale in America
Most expensive new land listing
Listed for sale on March 29 through Hall and Hall broker Tom Metzger, Zeman Ranch offers a secure investment in 10,343+/- deeded acres of prime Nebraska farm and ranchland. It is located in Rock County, Nebraska near Bassett. The ranch includes 5,640 +/- center pivot irrigated acres supported by the world’s second largest aquifer, the Ogallala Aquifer, which is a highly valued natural resource underlying nearly all of of the state. The property is listed for sale at $34 million.
Counties with most new land for sale
Below are the five counties with the most new land listed for sale in March 2018:
- Riverside County, California | Riverside County is a large county in Southern California that stretches from the L.A. sprawl across Palm Springs into the desert around Joshua Tree National Park. The county was recently ranked third in population growth among large counties nationwide, according to a U.S. Census Bureau report.
- Maricopa County, Arizona | Comprising the booming Phoenix metropolitan area, Maricopa County is the fastest growing county in the country in terms of population growth.
- Los Angeles County, California | As you’d expect of the country’s second-most populous city, land for sale in Los Angeles County largely comprises acreage for commercial and residential development.
- Buncombe County, North Carolina | The popular city of Asheville is the centerpiece of North Carolina’s Buncombe County, an area of scenic forested slopes and mountain passes that includes a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway plus access to the state’s highest peak, Mount Mitchell.
- San Bernardino County, California | Spreading northeast from L.A., San Bernardino County comprises everything from residential and equestrian estates to the orchards and agricultural acreage that drive the massive California farm economy.
Most searched counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in March 2018:
- Edwards County, Texas (+2)
- Kerr County, Texas
- Burnet County, Texas (+2)
- Bandera County, Texas (-3)
- Gillespie County, Texas (-1)
- Parker County, Texas (+1)
- Medina County, Texas (NEW)
- Blanco County, Texas (NEW)
- Williamson County, Texas(-3)
- Comal County, Texas (-1)
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in March 2018:
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Marion County, Florida
- Apache County, Arizona
- Hampshire County, West Virginia
- Le Flore County, Oklahoma
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Las Animas County, Colorado
- Pushmataha County, Oklahoma
- Park County, Colorado
- Yavapai County, Arizona
Top-performing land brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
- March 1 – Broker of the Week: Recreational Ranch Sold in Central Oregon’s High-Desert Region
- March 8 – Broker of the Week: LANDTX’s David Culver Sells 3,160-Acre Dunners Mountain Ranch
- March 15 – Broker of the Week: Historic McAdams Ranch Sold by Dane Mount of Davis Vernon Real Estate
- March 22 – Broker of the Week: Sam Middleton Sells 3,624-Acre Ranch in Baylor County, Texas
- March 29 – Broker of the Week: Icon Global Group Sells 11,800-Acre Broseco Ranch in East Texas
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.