There were over 2,200 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales program in May 2018, totaling almost $750 million of sold land and rural real estate across 44 states. This represents a 27 percent increase in sales activity over April 2018.
Bogata Farm in Red River County, Texas, was the month’s most expensive land sale. This productive Midwestern-style farm was sold through Republic Ranches for just shy of $20 million on May 16, 2018. Red River County lies along the Oklahoma line, northeast of Dallas and close to Arkansas. Characterized by fertile land fed by its namesake river, beef cattle, hay, soybeans and cotton are the region’s agricultural mainstays.
The May 14, 2018, sale of a 9,956-acre ranch near Bracketville, Texas, marked the largest sale by total acreage. Brokered by Jerrett V. Lamb with JVL Farm and Ranch, this ranch was assembled over several decades and is completely high-fenced, plus includes nearly seven miles of Lindsey Creek traversing the property north to south.
Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri saw the most land sales during the month, while the Texas counties of Henderson and Leon, along with Baxter County in Arkansas, recorded the most individual sales based on information submitted through the Lands of America Comparable Sales program.
New land listed for sale across the Land.com Network in April represents acreage in over 90 percent of all U.S. counties. Out of over 110,000 newly listed properties across the Land.com Network’s online marketplaces, below are some notable new listings on the market as of May.
Largest new land listing
With over 40 square miles to its credit (20,502 deeded and 5,554 leased acres), the Thunder River Ranch captures the best of Wyoming. Big-game hunting and fishing opportunities are unparalleled, and its cattle heritage is as rich as its well-watered grasslands. Well-blocked and extremely private, this ranch impresses by its scale and tradition as a true legacy property.
Read more: 10 Biggest Ranches for Sale in America
Most expensive new land listing
Big Creek Ranch hit the market in mid-May and is listed through Steamboat Springs-based Ranch and Resort Realty. This ranch checks off nearly every box for what discerning buyers look for in a legacy ranch: prime big-game hunting, outstanding fishing along Big Creek, public land boundary, smart improvements and close proximity to a major resort area. Over 80 percent of Big Creek’s boundary is shared with Routt National Forest. Tucked in its own private valley, the house provides the ideal space for large family or corporate gatherings.
Counties with most new land for sale
Below are the five counties with the most new land listed for sale in May 2018:
- Maricopa County, Arizona | Comprising the booming Phoenix metropolitan area, Maricopa County is the fastest growing county in the country in terms of population growth.
- Yavapai County, Arizona | Yavapai County regularly features among the top counties in the country with the most new land listings for sale on the Land.com Network. The county covers both the Prescott metro area and the western half of Sedona.
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina | It is rumored that Spartanburg County once produced more peaches than Georgia. Along with various farms and rural acreage, the county is also one of the state’s most populous, with development spurred by its proximity to the growing city of Greenville.
- Los Angeles County, California | As you’d expect of the country’s second-most populous city, land for sale in Los Angeles County largely comprises acreage for commercial and residential development.
- Rockingham County, New Hampshire | Rockingham sits on the southeast
“Seacoast” region of the state, covering some of the more developed areas between Manchester and Portsmouth on the Atlantic Coast.
Most searched counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in May 2018:
- Edwards County, Texas
- Burnet County, Texas
- Bandera County, Texas (+2)
- Kerr County, Texas (-1)
- Parker County, Texas (+1)
- Gillespie County, Texas (-1)
- Blanco County, Texas (+1)
- Bosque County, Texas (NEW)
- Henderson County, Texas (NEW)
- Bell County, Texas
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in May 2018:
- Marion County, Florida
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Apache County, Arizona
- Park County, Colorado
- Le Flore County, Oklahoma
- Pushmataha County, Oklahoma
- Las Animas County, Colorado
- Yavapai County, Arizona
- Elko County, Nevada
Top-performing land brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
- May 3 – Broker of the Week: King Land & Water Sells Biologically-Diverse 2,082-Acre Texas Ranch
- May 10 – Broker of the Week: Roy Raney & Jay Garrett, Stephens Ranch Real Estate
- May 17 – Broker of the Week: JVL Farm and Ranch Sells 10,000-Acre Hunting Ranch in South Texas
- May 24 – Broker of the Week: 8,026-Acre ATA Ranch Sold by San Angelo-Based Behrens Ranch Sales
- May 31 – Broker of the Week: Republic Ranches Sell 3,746-Acre Sycamore Creek Ranch
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.