There were 2,241 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program in May 2017 (a 29 percent increase from the previous month). The total value of all sales was $729 million, representing almost a quarter-million acres in 43 states throughout the country. Texas, Oklahoma and Illinois saw the highest sales volume in terms of total price; Texas, New Mexico and Colorado topped the list by overall acreage.
The most expensive sold property in May was a 2,758-acre tract in the northeastern suburbs of Houston that’s ripe for future development, including a section to accommodate the area’s planned Grand Parkway (a 184-mile loop encircling the nation’s fourth-largest metro). The largest sold acreage was New Mexico’s Red Mountain Ranch, which was sold by Sam Middleton on May 22, 2017. (The property pictured above is from a 410-acre ranch in the heart of Travis County’s Balcones Canyonland Preserve, which sold for its list price on May 17, 2017.)
Over 9,000 new listings were added by sellers on Lands of America throughout the month, representing a total of $4.8 billion in new rural real estate for sale. Below are some of the notable new additions.
Most Expensive New Listing
California’s Ferrari Ranch is a master-planned development that’s projected to bring significant new revenue, services and businesses to the area west of Merced. The Merced Sun-Star reports the project will bring some 7,500 jobs and an estimated $3 million a year in tax revenue to the area through the development of commercial space for retail stores, restaurants and other entertainment venues. The 159.5-acre parcel was listed for sale for $55.6 million on May 30, 2017.
Largest New Listing
Howard Mesa Ranch covers approximately 90 square miles (58,561 acres) in the rugged desert plateau just south of Grand Canyon National Park. It consists of deeded land, alternating sections of State grazing leases and adversely owned subdivision land that lie in a checkerboard pattern. Topography is level to gently rolling with a band of hills and small mountains along Cataract Canyon. Howard Mesa is just east of the headquarters at 6,800 feet; general elevations of the ranch are from 6,000 feet on the south end to 5,800 feet on the north end. Highway 64 and the Grand Canyon Railroad run north-south through the eastern end of the ranch.
Counties With Most New Land for Sale
New land was listed for sale in a total of 1,824 counties throughout the country. Below are the five counties with the most new land listed for sale in May 2017:
- Cochise County, Arizona (81 new listings) — Cochise County is a large rural county on the far southeastern corner of Arizona that shares its borders with Mexico and New Mexico.
- Henderson County, Texas (61 new listings) — Henderson County is located in the Piney Woods region of East Texas and is known for charming, historical towns like its namesake. The county seat is Athens.
- Parker County, Texas (58 new listings) — Located to the west of Dallas-Ft. Worth, Parker County is a gateway to the historic heart of Texas.
- Kerr County, Texas (55 new listings) — Split by the Guadalupe River and home to many ranches and farms, Kerr County is one of 25 counties that comprise Texas Hill Country.
- Llano County, Texas (51 new listings) — Another Hill Country county, Llano sits atop the Llano Uplift, a geological feature that gives rise to scenic areas of exposed granite rocks and steep-sided escarpments.
Most Searched Counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in May 2017:
- Burnet County, Texas
- Gillespie County, Texas
- Bandera County, Texas (+1)
- Kerr County, Texas (-1)
- Edwards County, Texas
- Parker County, Texas (+1)
- Llano County, Texas (+3)
- Williamson County, Texas (-2)
- Henderson County, Texas (NEW)
- Comal County, Texas (-1)
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in May 2017:
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Yavapai County, Arizona
- Apache County, Arizona
- Pushmataha County, Oklahoma
- Rio Arriba County, New Mexico
- Marion County, Florida
- Maricopa County, Arizona
- Le Flore County, Oklahoma
- Huerfano County, Colorado
- Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
Top-performing Land Brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.