There were over 2,000 properties listed as sold through the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program in October 2017, totaling a combined $600 million and 216,000 acres of sold land and rural real estate in 44 states ranging from Maine to Hawaii. This represents a 14 percent increase in sales activity over the previous month.
These land sales included the October 27 sale of 56,061-acre Wolf Springs Ranch in southern Colorado, the second-largest land of the year to date. The Wolf Springs Ranch sale, brokered jointly between Ranch Marketing Associates and M4 Ranch Group, was also the month’s most expensive sale, selling for $49 million.
Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri saw the most land sales during the month, while the counties recording the most individual sales were Henderson and Lamar counties in Texas and Arizona’s Cochise County. Texas, Colorado and Montana recorded the most total acres sold during the month.
Over 70,000 new listings were added by sellers on the Land.com Network throughout the month, representing over $25 billion in new rural real estate for sale in over 2,700 counties throughout the country. Below are several notable new additions.
Most expensive new land listing
Previously listed for sale at $65 million, 876-acre Four Peaks Ranch was re-listed with a $6.5 million price drop on October 18. Taking its name from surrounding Snowmass Mountain, Capitol Peak, Mount Daly and Mount Sopris, Four Peaks Ranch is the ultimate mountain sanctuary. Interior luxury melds with an outdoor landscape providing 15 miles of alluring private trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, four-wheeling, snowmobiling, paintball and cross-country skiing. The massive combined terrain of nearby Aspen Snowmass resort offer four-season adventure as well as endless après-ski events and entertainment.
Largest new land listing
Bar S Ranch is a sprawling 156,000-acre cattle ranch, of which only 3,345 are deeded acres, deep in the heart of Arizona’s cattle country. Most of the property comprises leased state and BLM land, offering a ranch rated to carry 445 Animal Units year-round. A number of working and registered springs offer water to keep the ranch running in this arid and remote part of the American Southwest. The ranch was listed for sale at $10 million on October 3, 2017, and is currently the third-largest land listing for sale based on overall acreage.
Counties with most new land for sale
New land was listed for sale in a total of 2,747 counties throughout the country, representing land for sale in over 90 percent of the counties in the United States. Below are the five counties with the most new land listed for sale in October 2017:
- Lee County, Florida — Centered around the Fort Myers area, land for sale in Lee County is largely commercial and undeveloped acreage.
- Maricopa County, Arizona — Comprising the booming Phoenix metropolitan area, Maricopa County is the fastest growing county in the country in terms of its population growth.
- San Bernardino County, California — Spreading northeast from L.A., San Bernardino County comprises everything from residential and equestrian estates to the orchards and agricultural acreage that drive the massive California farm economy.
- Baldwin County, Alabama — Wedged between Mobile, Alabama, and Pensacola on the Florida Panhandle, Baldwin County offers a mix of recreational and beachfront vacation property and cheaper agricultural acreage where the Gulf Coast gives way to the estuarine lowland portion of the county.
- Yavapai County, Arizona — Comprising both the Prescott metro area and the western half of Sedona, Yavapai County regularly features among the top counties in the country with the most new land listings for sale on the Land.com Network. With land here being relatively cheap and plentiful, the county is a popular spot for land buyers looking for recreational and residential real estate in the Sun Belt, not to mention land for future property development.
Most searched counties
Below are the ten most searched counties on Lands of America in October 2017:
- Edwards County, Texas (+1)
- Gillespie County, Texas (+2)
- Burnet County, Texas (-2)
- Kerr County, Texas (+1)
- Parker County, Texas (+1)
- Blanco County, Texas (-3)
- Bandera County, Texas
- Henderson County, Texas (+2)
- Williamson County, Texas (NEW)
- Llano County, Texas (-1)
Below are the ten most searched non-Texas counties on Lands of America in October 2017:
- Klamath County, Oregon
- Huerfano County, Colorado
- Yavapai County, Arizona
- Pushmataha County, Oklahoma
- San Bernardino County, California
- Cochise County, Arizona
- Marion County, Florida
- Le Flore County, Oklahoma
- Las Animas County, Colorado
- Park County, Wyoming
- Navajo County, Arizona
Top-performing Land Brokers
Based on brokers participating in the Lands of America Comparable Sales Program, below are our Brokers of the Week for land sales completed during the month. Congratulations to these individuals!
- October 5 – Behrens Ranch Sales Sells 3,568-Acre Ranch in Texas Hill Country
- October 12 – Timber and Recreational Acreage Sold in East-Central Georgia
- October 19 – Wiregrass Land Group Sells Large Contiguous Timberland Tract in Southern Georgia
- October 26 – Steffens & Co. Realty Sell Historic Off-Grid Ranch in the Foothills of the Continental Divide
Land buyers can access our comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandInsights account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Lands of America Property Control Center.