Mirr Ranch Group Sells Outstanding Southern Colorado Cattle Ranch

Post Image
Post Image
Post Image
Post Image
Post Image
Post Image
Post Image

This column is part of a regular weekly series highlighting the largest land sales recorded each week through the Lands of America Comparable Sales program. To learn more and participate in the program, or to subscribe, click here.

Congratulations to Mirr Ranch Group agents Jeff Hubbard and Pat Lancaster, who brokered the sale of 11,052-acre Gutierrez Ranch in Colorado’s Las Animas County on May 12, 2017. The deeded acreage sold for its asking price after less than six months on the market.

View property listing on Lands of America

Gutierrez Ranch is a working cattle ranch that’s rated for 250-300 pair year-round. With the property rested over the past 18 months, its range is now flush with grass and ready for grazing by the new owners. About 80 percent of the ranch occupies open, protein-rich grasslands. The other 20 percent comprises deep canyons covered with Gambel oak, pinon and juniper trees.

About four miles of the year-round Van Bremer canyon, which feeds the Purgatoire River, traverse the ranch. Other water sources on the ranch include several live springs and spring-fed ponds, plus over 30 earthen tanks holding stock water seasonally. Along with feed and water sources, the ranch’s tree-covered canyon country provides protective cover during rare winter storms. 

Gutierrez Ranch, which is about 30 minutes to the east of the town of Trinidad, is in the heart of a county characterized by wide-open plains and sweeping views of the distant Sangre de Cristo mountains. Las Animas County, slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut, is home to over 500 farms that are significantly larger than the state average (3,500 acres per farm). Agricultural receipts show that livestock sales account for some 90 percent of the county’s total agricultural output.

Along with ranch features like handling pens, storage areas and calving sheds, a modest ranch headquarters and bunkhouse provide accommodations. Gutierrez Ranch offers mule deer, elk, antelope and turkey hunting, with deer often in the range of 180+.

View Mirr Ranch Group’s other listings on Lands of America

Land buyers can access Lands of America’s comprehensive database of historic sales information by purchasing a LandsInsight account ($199/year), while platinum and basic sellers receive complimentary access through the Land.com Network’s Property Control Center.


  • Lands of America specializes in land for sale, which includes farms, ranches, mountain property, lake houses, river homes, beachfront homes, country homes and residential homes in smaller towns across the country. These properties have many diverse uses including recreational and agricultural activities like hunting, fishing, camping, backpacking, horseback riding, four wheeling, grazing cattle, gardening, vineyards, cropland and raising horses and other livestock.

  • Show Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

You May Also Like

Johnny Cavazos Sells Pristine High Top Ranch in Frio County

Congratulations to Johnny Cavazos with The Texas Ranch Company, LLC, for his sale of the 1,330-acre High Top Ranch in Frio County, Texas.

La Gloria Land Company’s Matt Mann Sells Trophy Southeast Texas Ranch

Congratulations to Matt Mann of Sugar Land-based La Gloria Land Company for his sale this week of a 1,558-acre trophy hunting ranch in Lavaca County, Texas.

Terence Hundemer Sells 2,995-acre Sportsman’s Paradise in Northern California

Congratulations to Terence Hundemer of the Nevada City, California-based Chickering Company, Inc. for his sale of 2,995 acres in Northern California's Tehama County. This sale occurred on February 28, 2017, and was submitted through the Lands of America Comparable Sales program.